Senior Lecturer & Associate Program Head (DAI)
Telephone: +65 6499 4557
Pillar / Cluster: Design and Artificial Intelligence, Engineering Product Development
Dr. Edwin Koh is Associate Program Head (Design and Artificial Intelligence) and senior lecturer at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). He serves on the review committee of the United States National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Grand Challenges Scholars Program (GCSP) and is the founding chair of the International Conference on Advanced Design Research and Education. Edwin has held full-time and visiting positions at the National University of Singapore, New York University, and the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR). His research focuses on the design of engineering products and appears in journals such as Research in Engineering Design, Journal of Engineering Design, and Design Studies.
Edwin received his B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering and S.M. in Manufacturing from the Nanyang Technological University. He attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as part of his master’s studies and holds a Ph.D. in Engineering Design from the University of Cambridge.
- PhD (University of Cambridge)
- BEng, SM (Nanyang Technological University)
- Koh, E.C.Y. (2022) “Design change prediction based on social media sentiment analysis”, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Vol. 36, e24, pp 1-16.
- Koh, E.C.Y. (2022) “Resilience analysis of infrastructure systems in incremental design change”, Computers in Industry, Vol. 142, 103734, pp 1-15.
- Loh, A.P., Law, E., Putra, A.S., Koh, E.C.Y., Tang, K.Z. and Khoo, E.T. (2021) “Innovation, Design & Entrepreneurship in Engineering Education”, Advances in Engineering Education, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp 1-12.
- Koh, E.C.Y. (2020) “Read the full patent or just the claims? Mitigating design fixation and design distraction when reviewing patent documents”, Design Studies, Vol. 68, pp 34-57.
- Koh, E.C.Y. and De Lessio, M.P. (2018) “Fixation and distraction in creative design: The repercussions of reviewing patent documents to avoid infringement”, Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp 351-366.
- Duran-Novoa, R., Weigl, J.D., Henz, M. and Koh, E.C.Y. (2018) “Designing in young organisations: engineering change propagation in a university design project”, Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp 489-506.
- Koh, E.C.Y. (2017) “A study on the requirements to support the accurate prediction of engineering change propagation”, Systems Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp 147-157.
- Koh, E.C.Y., Forg, A., Kreimeyer, M. and Lienkamp, M. (2015) “Using engineering change forecast to prioritise component modularisation”, Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp 337-353.
- Koh, E.C.Y., Shim, V., Tan, W.W., Gibson, I. and Putra, A.S. (2014) “Editorial Preface”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Design Research and Education, Research Publishing, ISBN: 978-981-09-1348-9
- Koh, E.C.Y. (2013) “Engineering design and intellectual property: Where do they meet?”, Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp 325-329.
- Koh, E.C.Y., Caldwell, N.H.M. and Clarkson, P.J. (2013) “A technique to assess the changeability of complex engineering systems”, Journal of Engineering Design, Vol. 24, No. 7, pp 477-498.
- Koh, E.C.Y., Caldwell, N.H.M. and Clarkson, P.J. (2012) “A method to assess the effects of engineering change propagation”, Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp 329-351.