Telephone: +65 6499 4609
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design, Design and Artificial Intelligence
Michael Alexander Reeves is a senior lecturer at SUTD aligned with the DAI course. For the past twenty years he has been working as an entrepreneur in the international design sector across Transportation, Architecture, Interiors and Product Design.
As an Architecture graduate from Newcastle University in the UK, a dream position followed as lead designer for a newly launched car company. He was tasked with both the design and build of a new production facility, and the construction of the subsequent prototype cars. A lifelong passion for machines has shaped much of his thinking in terms of manufacturing and his visual narrative.
Attaining a transportation design degree from ACCD in California lead to various working roles culminating in experience at Andrew Winch design and Redman Whitely Dixon, both leading design practices in the UK.
As one of the founding partners of the Claydon Reeves studio in the UK specializing in bespoke superyachts, jets and helicopters, he has developed a wide network across the design industry. In conjunction with Rolls-Royce Marine, he launched a new range of high-performance yachts integrating a number of new product innovations. The studio has been fortunate enough to have won the world superyacht award three times.
With a reputation for fresh, original ideas, inspired by complex organic marine structures much of his recent work has focused on biomorphic design and printable structures.
Mobility solutions for the urban environment, along with last mile delivery vehicles powered by a combination of hydrogen fuel cells and fully electric propulsion are a particular focus, further enhanced by AI and varying degrees of autonomy.
A strong believer in the power of digital design, reinforced by the core skill of analogue sketching to illustrate design thinking.
- BA (Hons) Architecture, Newcastle University, UK
- BA Transportation design, Art Centre College of Design, Los Angeles, USA
- Green technology in the shipping industry with special reference to AI
- Autonomous delivery vehicles
- Supply chain automation
- Biomorphic design
- 3D printing on a large scale – BAAM (Big area Additive manufacturing)
- Urban mobility solutions
- Best Motor Yachts Interior Design at the Boat International Design and Innovation awards 2020 in Florence, Italy, for M/Y Calypso
- Best Displacement Yacht at the World Superyacht Awards 2018 in Florence, Italy, for M/Y Delta One
- Best Displacement Yacht at the World Superyacht Awards 2016 in Cortina, Italy, for M/Y Solis
A regular contributor to international design events, including:
- Lead speaker, “Challenges in Modern Yacht Design”, Superyacht Design Festival, Cortina, Italy (2019)
- Lead speaker, “Future of Design in the Superyacht World”, Superyacht Exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery, London, UK (2018)
- Speaker, “Solutions in Interiors”, London Design Centre Superyacht Design Forum, UK (2018)
- Lead speaker, “Key Aesthetics of the Superyacht” in association with German shipyard Nobiskrug at the Monaco Yacht Show (2015)
- Regular Pro bono work as a keynote speaker on design at London schools